<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

4.23.2014

Strawberry Cake

 As-Salaamu Alaykum,

Spring, Summer = Strawberries! I don't really get the urge to eat strawberries any other time....does strawberry cheesecake count?

Granted, these aren't British Strawberries they won't be appearing until next month, in sha Allah.

I definitely made use of the ones I had putting them in the cake, frosting and as decoration. BUT....
All that glitters is not gold. 
The frosting was too sweet for the cake but I did like how the strawberry purée made it naturally light pink.
After thinking about it,my dislike could stem from the fact that I took two separate recipes for the cake and buttercream and put them together, assuming they would work just because they both contained strawberry!
I should have taken note when the recipe for the cake said this is a classic Victoria sandwich (uses equal quantities of butter, sugar and flour) with the addition of strawberries and cream(I used whole milk instead). The cake would be sweet enough on it's own or with some whipped cream so i won't be including the recipe for the frosting below.

Next time I make this cake I still want to cover the cake and make it explode with strawberry flavour so whipped cream marbled with some strawberry purée through should work.

Strawberry Cake






recipe loosely adapted from good to know

Ingredients

225grams unsalted butter, softened.
225grams caster sugar (golden)
3 large eggs
225grams self-raising flour
100ml whole milk 
135grams hulled strawberries, mashed or puréed 
1 tsp vanilla 

Method

  1. pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease 1 20cm non stick spring form cake tin and line bottom with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl or your stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar together until well combined. (5minutes). Then add eggs one at a time ensuring each egg is thoroughly combined before adding the next (5minutes). Then add all the milk at once and slowly mix in.
  3. Fold in flour a third at a time until mixture is smooth.
  4. Mix strawberry purée and vanilla into cake batter.
  5. Pour the mixture into cake tin and bake on a middle shelf for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean. 
  6. Remove from oven and leave to cool in tin on a cooling rack for 20minutes before removing to cool completely. 
  7. Divide cake into 2 layers then fill, sandwich and decorate as desired. 
* You can always divide the cake batter between 2 20cm cake tins and half the cooking time. 

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 23 April 2014 at 17:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam alayki sister, that cake looks amazing. MashaAllah. Just what I need whilst the house is quiet and empty to indulge into in peace.

 
At 23 April 2014 at 21:32 , Blogger Sugarpea12 said...

Masha Allah looks so pretty and yummy😋

 
At 24 April 2014 at 02:19 , Blogger Meriem said...

How pretty! I love the strawberry flower!

 
At 24 April 2014 at 11:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you're so open about what you like/dislike about the recipe you're sharing. This cake looks lovely mA and our markets are bursting with strawberries, so this would be so lovely to have at home :)

 
At 24 April 2014 at 13:17 , Blogger Unknown said...

I know that feeling! I love sneaking away to the kitchen to have a piece of anything in peace lol

 
At 24 April 2014 at 13:18 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you sister <3

 
At 24 April 2014 at 13:22 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you meriem, the flower wasn't planned but after arranging the strawberries I had sprinkles in hand and the lil artist in me came out lol

 
At 24 April 2014 at 13:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you sister, in sha Allah you bake and enjoy the cake with your family. <3

 
At 25 April 2014 at 14:30 , Blogger Aiza said...

Salaam!
As I noted on instagram, it's 'almost' too pretty to eat. Stress on almost.It would be a much better alternative to tint cake batter and frosting rather than synthetic dyes. Specially for a girlyy birthday party.
I need to try this. NEED.

 
At 25 April 2014 at 20:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa alaykum salaam Aiza, thank you so much! Yes i agree so much better than synthetic especially for kids. If your interested in the frosting recipe let me know but i would suggest reducing the amount of sugar in the cake if your planning to use them together.

 
At 26 April 2014 at 21:00 , Blogger Aziza said...

I want to try this!!! MashaAllah, it looks so beautiful and delicious. It reminds me of my mother, who loves strawberries. (:

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home