<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

1.31.2013

Lamb Chop & Okra Tagine

 
Salam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah,
 
This was my first try at an authentic Tagine recipe, authentic being that i cooked it in the actual Tagine vessel inside the oven and not substituted it with my stew pot on the stove.



Buying a Tagine in the UK can be pricey and although i have been married to my Algerian husband for almost 5years we have just never got around to buying one. So when he saw this terracotta Tagine for a price £9.99!! at T.K.Max he quickly purchased and left the shop! He originally had gone in to buy a jacket.

So for my first attempt at making a Tagine in a Tagine if you catch my drift lol i thought I'd  also try for the first time the vegetable Okra and i can happily say I'm a fan alhamdulillah, although i would say it adds more texture than taste to the actual dish, i would readily use it again and we all know greens are good for you especially the growing baby inside my tummy masha'Allah.

I have to confess my appetite as gone way up in this pregnancy compared to my first 2 and i have no clue why!? Have any of you ever had considerably bigger appetites during pregnancy and what type of things did you graze on throughout the day?

This recipe is my own but inspired by cooking with Alia who i am surprised did not use a traditional Tagine to cook her version in and Chef Osama who used lamb shanks which i didn't have and not enough variation of spices in my opinion so i changed that.

The only thing i would change is the amount of water i used, i put more than enough water to cover the chops and okra but what i should have thought about is liquid doesn't evaporate so readily when cooking inside a Tagine, that is the beauty of the pot it keeps everything moist and succulent alhamdulillah so instead of covering with water i would do as i did with the rest of Chef Osama's ingredients and divide the quantity by 4.  So i recommend you use 1cup and then check half way through cooking (in the oven) if you feel the sauce is too dry then you can add more water/stock in sha Allah



Lamb Chop & Okra Tagine

Serves: 2-3 adults or 2 adults and 2 small children i.e. My Family :)

Ingredients

250g Lamb Chops
Salt and Pepper (i used 1/2tsp salt and 1/4tsp pepper but remember to adjust to your taste)
1-2tbsp Olive Oil or Ghee
1/4tsp ground Cumin
1/4tsp ground Coriander
1/4 ground Ginger
1/4tsp ground Turmeric
1/4tsp ground Paprika
1/8tsp ground Cinnamon
1 medium size Onion, chopped
1 large clove of Garlic, chopped
1/4 tin chopped Tomatoes
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1cup Water/Stock, see the point i made above
250g Okra (ends removed and cleaned)
1/2tbsp Olive Oil or Ghee
1 large clove of Garlic, chopped
1/4tsp ground Coriander or 1/4tsp finely chopped stems of Coriander
X amount of fresh Coriander leaves (for garnish)

Method

  1. Heat Oil in a pan over medium/high heat, add meat and spices including salt and pepper, brown meat on all sides, remove from pan and set aside. Saute onions until translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute more then add meat.
  2. Pour chopped tomatoes, puree and water/stock over the meat and bring to boil. Turn heat down so the stew simmers and leave for 30 minutes.
  3. Pre-heat oven to 180degressC, chop ends off Okra and clean well in cold water.
  4. Add Okra to the pot, check for seasoning and bring to boil. Transfer contents to a Tagine, cover and place in the oven for about 30minutes(do not forget to check the sauce half way through and add more water if necessary)
  5. Heat remaining oil in a small saute pan and fry garlic for 2 minutes, add coriander, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute more. Pour over Okra casserole and return to oven for 10minutes.
  6. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve over warm rice.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3 February 2013 at 19:43 , Blogger Sara T. said...

MashaAllah sis! I must try this recipe I love okra!!!

 
At 4 February 2013 at 16:08 , Blogger Unknown said...

In sha Allah sis I hope you enjoy it!

 
At 18 September 2013 at 01:21 , Blogger Unknown said...

walaikum assalaam warahmatullaah! MaashaAllaah congratulations on your new addition to your family. I have one toddler and was blessed with a baby earlier this year as well. Alhamdulillaah have my hands full it seems. I don't know how mothers with more than two children do it! This looks amazing maashaAllaah, Ive had chops and didn't know what to do with them. I have everything but okra, so inshaAllaah I can make this soon!

TK Max sounds like a British version of TJMAXX lol

JazaakAllaahu khairan for sharing!! <3

 
At 18 September 2013 at 06:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa Cavanaug. Ukhti,

MashaAllah wa Alhamdulillah Yes 3 children under 5 I would be lying if I said it was easy!

And oh yes by looking online it seems tk Maxx is the UK version of tj maxx lol I had no idea it existed in America.

<3 Allahi barak fiki
Asmaa

 
At 18 September 2013 at 06:56 , Blogger Unknown said...

Apologies my auto correct made a mistake, I meant wa baraktuhu.

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home