<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

4.10.2013

My Take On Algerian Kesra

As-Salamu Alaikum / Welcome Reader,

Kesra:- an Algerian flat bread that is good served at breakfast, spread with butter and honey.

It is a very hearty bread, quite dense due to being made only of semolina, and the amount of oil used but is totally satisfying..

Kesra is traditionally cooked on a clay tagine on the stove but I used a tefal non stick frying pan.

Depending on what region of Algeria you are in this bread is prepared in different ways and can be of different thickness. As I am no where near Algeria this is my 'British' take on it.


Kesra

Makes 2 large 1/2cm thick

Ingredients

2 cups fine semolina
1/2 cup coarse semolina
2 teaspoons salt
1 x 7g sachet of fast action yeast
1/4  cup oil (olive or sunflower)
Luke warm water (enough to bring the dough together)

Method

In a large bowl or your stand mixer fitted with your dough hook attachment. Add both types of semolina then salt, mix, add yeast, mix again, add oil, mix!

Add water slowly until the dough forms, I used just under 1 cup but this will vary depending on your climate and the absorption rate / quality of semolina being used.

Knead for  5 minutes in stand mixer or 10 minutes by hand or until you have a soft, smooth dough.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise at room temperature for 30minutes.

Weigh your dough and divide into 2 equal portions or as many as you want depending on how thick and how big you want your kesra to be, remember to adjust cooking times.

Place your pan on hob and pre-heat to medium-low

Roll each kesra into a large around 26cm, 1/2cm thick disk, place on pre-heated pan and prick all over with a fork. Cook for around 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so to avoid burning.

If you want your bread with more colour than mine (everyone likes their bread differently) either cook it at a higher temperature for a shorter time, keeping good care that it doesn't burn unless that's your thing! Or once the bread is cooked through place it directly on the heat source to char / get more colour on the edges.

 

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10 April 2013 at 16:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks good and I want to try this. I'm not sure I have any semolina though. I used to but I may have had to throw it out when my kitchen got invaded by bugs...ick...

 
At 11 April 2013 at 14:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

thank you for the visit Melissa. I had a bug problem last year too Alhamdulillah it was contained inside one bag of semolina which I hadn't touched for months! the bugs are generally already inside the semolina grains and hatch inside once they have the right conditions (heat and moisture) so if you keep your semolina near a warm wet area say in a cupboard and the kettle is underneath or your washing machine (both mine were) then I suggest either moving the semolina or putting it inside a plastic container and then it minimizes the chance of bugs spreading if they are born again as it were lol
hope your not put off buying more semolina now and you try the kesra and enjoy it in sha Allah

 
At 11 April 2013 at 19:41 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that bugs are already inside flours and stuff like that, though I try not to think about it too much :/ it creeps me out! lol! I do try to use stuff up, I hate throwing things out, but I haven't had any time for baking lately.
I'll still give this a try, inshallah. Maybe this weekend or next!

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home