<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

6.16.2012

Bakewell Tart




Like many a British classic before it, how the Bakwell tart was first concocted no one is 100% sure of. I'm inclined to believe it came about by accident as the following story tells.
In 1820 Mrs. Greaves the landlady of the White Horse Inn, Bakewell Town Invited friends round for dinner. Mrs.Greaves was busy entertaining and asked her inexperienced cook to make a pudding.
The instructions were, mix an egg mixture with a secret ingredient into a pastry case and spread strawberry jam on top. The cook was inexperienced so misunderstood the instructions, poured the egg mixture onto the jam instead, therefore making a tart, not a pudding!
The tart was still served to the guests and as they praised the dish, Mrs Greaves ordered her staff to continue making them that way.
This tart consists of a thin sweet shortcrust pastry base layered with raspberry jam, frangipane and topped with flaked almonds. It is quite simple to make when you organise yourself well I promise! and even though my oven (fan) kindly over browned the top of my tart, it still tasted great.
The recipe i followed can be found here

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 16 June 2012 at 17:36 , Blogger The Muslimah Corner said...

Assalamu Alaykum, it looks delicious...:D

 
At 16 June 2012 at 19:36 , Blogger Amna said...

Looks yum and I love the photos :)

 
At 16 June 2012 at 22:15 , Blogger Amna said...

And I wonder how it would the yummiest with those roasted almond slices.

 
At 17 June 2012 at 11:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! So where exactly in England are you? I am sure I could make it round for a slice with a cuppa! lol MashaAllah you make me want to bake more. I haven't baked in three weeks as I'm cooking different dinner recipes at the moment, trying new things.

 
At 17 June 2012 at 20:57 , Anonymous Kayla said...

This looks amaaaaazing!

 
At 18 June 2012 at 12:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments @Sanaa i'm in South Yorkshire :)

 
At 19 June 2012 at 11:36 , Blogger Umm Abdulkarim said...

Salam Aleykum Uhkti. mashallah this looks amazing. The flower tin is so cute. I LOVE almonds on anything and was just soaking some now and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with them... Think I found our what I am baking tonight.

 
At 19 June 2012 at 17:44 , Blogger From Yeast to Zest said...

SubhanAllah I use to buy these amazing bars at the store in London and always wanted to know what they were. It was pastry, jam, and the topping a little grainy so I thought maybe almond and semolina but this is it! Yumm, I must try!

 
At 19 June 2012 at 19:06 , Blogger Sugarpea12 said...

Masha Allah, saw this somewhere this week and have been fancying to eat it ever since...now I have instructions! Looks totally delicious, your lucky familyxx

 
At 19 June 2012 at 19:25 , Blogger Unknown said...

@Um Abduilkarim - let me know how your bakewell tart turns out inshaAllah i'd like to see a pic
@Zelia - look what i found http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/826638/raspberry-bakewell-slice - i forgot all about these i used to eat them as a kid but they are perfect now when every1 loves small individual portions like cupcakes
:Sugar - JazakAllah Khair so sweet of you to say that

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home