<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

6.24.2012

Pistachio Cupcakes With Chocolate Rose Buttercream


I will keep this post short but sweet, inshAllah.
I recently made a promise to myself, that I would leave off baking cupcakes for a while…..yeh er promises are made to be broken right?! Maybe I should have named this blog 'sugar rush' or' sugar high' as no one could possibly go away from here without being on or wanting to be on one!

Less so when you have to face removing pistachios from their shells, my least favourite task of this bake.
I recently bought an oven thermometer,  today i discovered my electric fan oven is running 20 ˚C-30 ˚C hotter than normal, so I reduced my oven temperature accordingly which in turn resulted in super light and fluffy cupcakes! An oven thermometer is really worth investing a few £/$ in, especially when you bake regularly. I used to think to myself, really can oven temperature make such a big difference, wouldn’t what you bake just bake faster? But honestly baking at the right temperature makes a hug a difference on how your cakes rise and the overall texture, you certainly won’t regret purchasing an oven thermometer, now onto the recipe.
Recipe


Makes 10
Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
120g unsalted butter, softened
160g caster sugar
1tsp rosewater
2 large eggs, room temperature
200g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp milk or water
50g chopped pistachios, toasted
For the buttercream:
150g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar
160g bittersweet / plain chocolate, melted
2tbsp milk or water
1tsp rosewater
Method
  1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 160 ˚C (fan)/180˚C/350˚F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with only 10 cases.
  2. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a large, clean bowl and set aside.
  3. In a separate large, clean bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the rosewater.
  4. Fold in half the sifted flour, then the milk/water, then the rest of the flour, gently folding well to combine after each addition.
  5. Gently fold in the pistachios.
  6. Spoon the cupcake mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place on wire racks to cool completely.
  1. For the buttercream: Melt the chocolate over a bain marie or short bursts in the microwave, leave to cool to room temperature.
  2. In a large, clean bowl cream the butter, then gradually add and stir in the sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Add the cooled melted chocolate, rosewater and milk/water.
  4. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and then, garnish with crushed pistachios.
This cake flavor combination works well but I didn’t get much rosewater coming through, maybe next time I will use more rosewater in the cake batter.
Another idea would be to use white chocolate instead of plain, as chocolate can sometimes take over the show and even more so when your over generous on the buttercream.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 24 June 2012 at 19:16 , Blogger Amna said...

Wow Asmaa, you are MAshaAllah a Baking Pro. I love the pictures. Amazing. Teach me the butter cream recipe please, I always mess it up.

 
At 24 June 2012 at 19:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

Allah barak fiki, well to be honest i only recently discovered the perfect buttercream is 1part butter to 2parts icing sugar then i thin it out using milk/water/ chocolate/ fruit puree/ various fruit juices etc but this amount will vary depending on your climate, so add little by little.
Another tip, always beat your butter a few minutes before slowly adding the icing sugar then any flavourings, once you have achieved your desired consistancy STOP don't continue to beat as this incorporates extra air into the buttercream making it more difficult for piping.

 
At 24 June 2012 at 21:53 , Blogger Melissa said...

Mashallah, these look delicious. I've never had rose and chocolate together before, but it sounds good!

 
At 25 June 2012 at 12:01 , Blogger Noor said...

I LOVE that mug lol. This is why I only bake small batch cupcakes so I do not kill my family with sweets lol. These look really good though mashAllah yummy.

You should add some cream cheese into your buttercream sometime its great.

 
At 28 June 2012 at 12:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cake has just finished baking sis. I have come on here to nick your butter cream tip on thinning.
These look amazing delicious mashallah tabrakillah.
You need to remove the word 'Amateur' from your blog description. You are truly a baker.
Professional 100%

 
At 28 June 2012 at 12:41 , Blogger Unknown said...

Aww your too kind really, i hope you make a blog post featuring a pic of your cake, inshaAllah. Allah barak fiki <3 wa salam alaikum

 
At 28 June 2012 at 13:04 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I forgot to offer my 'salam alaykum' to you! My cakes taste good mashaAllah, they don't last more than a few hours but they are not pretty enough to photo and are not blog post worthy at all. My daughters are licking away though as I type so I'm happy!

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home