<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

9.25.2012

1975: Burger & Chips Followed By Tulumba

Asalamu Alaikum, Greetings blogosphere,

In 1975, did frozen burger and chips even exist? As I was born in the late 80's I wouldn't have a clue!

Ok, so the photos are 1975 style but definitely worth eating in 2012 I promise.

You see I do have days where I don't home make every meal. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood or like today the fact I decapitated, gutted, stuffed and pan fried sardines for my husband was enough time spent in the heart of my home so the quick dinner was perfect alhamduillah

I want to know why I can never make burger, chips/fries that good! seriously you would think chips are easy but no, i must be using the wrong type of potatoe, that's my excuse. Oh and don't get me started on the tulumba... it is just the right sweet to eat at anytime of the day, for me that is.

Tulumba or Tulumba tatlisi i believe is a Turkish sweet, made with choux like dough. Instead of been baked it is pushed through a special mould, deep fried, then soaked in sugar syrup, delicious!

Sadly, I have never been able to recreate this favourite of mine not without trying but I either haven't come across the right recipe or maybe it's the fact I haven't the specific mould required, I've always used a pastry bag and the largest nozzle I own which is quite small really in comparison.

Tulumba should be hard and quite crunchy (if fresh) on the outside, soft and oozing syrup inside. My versions have always always been nothing but soggy if not at first then after an hour.

Do any of you out there have this elusive tulumba recipe I've been searching for? If your in the UK and know where I can get the mould please let me know in the comments inshA Allah / God willing.

I almost forgot, how do you like my new blog & name? MashaAllah / as Allah willed, I eventually thought, thought and thought a lot more finally deciding on this simple and cute name. May Allah reward all of you that gave your suggestions, sanna your suggestion 'Asmaa in da house' was the inspiration behind my choice <3

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 25 September 2012 at 21:27 , Blogger khadijah said...

assalamualaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu?!
this picture looks very old school but the fries look very appetizing! I see you changed your name! ...and your blog template...is this the final template? ....

 
At 26 September 2012 at 01:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum

I just love the retro quality to this meal..
I was 6 in 1975 and this SO looks like something my mother would have given us to eat.

And the trick to lovely chips is... salt them before frying and give them the lightest dusting of flour for extra crunchiness.

Oh and I have a recipe for Churro, which sounds like it's the same chouxy type thing, if you want it... and piping them out through a piping bag with a large nozzle would work.

Love your blog by the way...



:)

 
At 26 September 2012 at 06:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa Alaikum Salam wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu sisters,

@onelovely Muslimah - jazakAllah Khairan for your sweet comment, yes this is the final template.

@kate - jazakAllah Khayran for sharing your tips for the perfect chips, will be trying those out very soon insha Allah.

I did try a churros recipe before, they are yummy too but just not quite the same, tulumba contains semolina so it soaks up the syrup where churros hasn't got any sucking syrup ability lol but are very nice dipped in cinnamon sugar or melted chocolate mmmmm

 
At 26 September 2012 at 10:33 , Blogger Anisa umm imran said...

masha`allah sis asmaa ... that looks like something i probably would have eaten when younger too it would have been for lunch especially if my mum was in a hurry .... i cant believe i dint drop by before now .... well you are truly bookmarked and place on my blog roll

 
At 26 September 2012 at 10:36 , Blogger Anisa umm imran said...

lol i just realized that you changed your name ... oh i`m not awake yet

 
At 26 September 2012 at 10:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! That burger alone would fill me up. Them chips look like they'd have me on the sofa for a day!
I have never heard of Tulumba, might see if the local Turkish shop has some and try it inshaAllah

 
At 26 September 2012 at 21:54 , Blogger Aiza said...

Assalam o Alaikum! First of all, lovely new layout. I esp love the header. And now, that source isn't online sorry but why don't you check out amazon? My cousin from uk buys them from Pakistani shops. She also says they are halal. No idea now. And I agree to that. I feel like that too when I bake cakes but then I bake so many things, tots, wraps, pizza etc so it compensates. You're on the right track. I know some blogs about healthy desserts, inform me if you need the links :)

 
At 27 September 2012 at 00:46 , Blogger Unknown said...

Salam Alaikum ummimran, Sanaa, Aiza tariq,
@umm Imran - jazakallah kharyan for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment, yes it's my fault lol apologies for all the changes but hope you like and feel at home here inshAllah
@sanaa -yes you should definitely try the tulumba inshAllah and come and give me your review inshaAllah
@Aiza - I will have a look on amazon inshAllah, I do buy other halal sweets online (from time to time) but never come across those...yet. JazakAllah Khairan for your support and advice...sure go ahead with the healthy dessert links please

 
At 10 October 2012 at 18:43 , Blogger Aiza said...

Sorry for taking so long, okay here you go.
superhealthykids.com
chocolatecoveredkatie.com
weelicious.com
Hope it helps :)

 
At 11 October 2012 at 07:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

JazakAllah Khair sister the sites looks great, already can't wait to cook something from them ā¤

 
At 2 March 2013 at 21:46 , Blogger Unknown said...

What recipe do you use?
My mum makes moroccan sweets and she has not got the recipe for this one. She just uses the Grwiech recipe.
We use the pastry mill to mix the dough.

 
At 4 March 2013 at 08:14 , Blogger Unknown said...

@salwa
the tulumba above is not homemade, i haven't been able to find a recipe online that works well, the tulumba always end up soggy after a few hours when they should remain crisp on the outside

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home