<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

5.03.2013

Algerian Cooked Carrot Salad

As-Salamu Alaikunna Sisters / Greetings Reader,

I found this recipe a while ago....as with most recipes that I pin, this got put to the back of my mind and for a time I think I forgot about it altogether!

At the moment for no particular reason, other than husband brought home carrots when we already have some I have an abundance of carrots sat in my fridge. Rather than bake them into carrot cake or any other sweet right away (I have plans in the making) I remembered this salad and gave it a go.

The carrot flavour in this salad is mild and sweet due to the carrots being cooked first but also because you get a punchy flavour from the raw garlic, lemon, cumin and olive oil dressing.

If you don't like or despair to have the lingering after taste of raw garlic, I suggest you finely chop the garlic then steam / boil it along with your carrots although it's much more beneficial for your body especially your heart when eaten raw.

To read about the benefits of raw garlic, click here

Algerian Cooked Carrot Salad

recipe adapted slightly from tastingspoons
Serves 2

Ingredients

 
250grams carrots, washed and peeled
1 garlic clove - I used a small one and crushed it but if you prefer use a regular size garlic clove and finely chop it this will make it less pungent and like I said above you can always cook the garlic if you prefer the flavour even milder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon coriander or parsley, finely chopped 
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - this is your seasoning but feel free to substitute with salt & pepper
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar

Method

 
Cut carrots at an angle to your desired thickness, mine were about 1/4cm-1/2cm thick, steam for 15-20minutes or until they are cooked through but not mushy.
 
Place cooked carrots in a heat proof bowl and leave to cool slightly.
 
Make up the dressing in a separate bowl and then pour onto your carrots.
 
Served best at room temperature but if you like you can chill it in the fridge and serve it cold.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home